Join Pike Place Market Foundation, Pike Place Market, and Friends of the Market on October 23 as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Citizens’ Initiative to Keep the Market! Enjoy a variety of Market activities that celebrate the Market we all love today, including special commemorative gifts, craft demonstrations, one-of-a-kind shopping and more!
HISTORY OF THE CELEBRATION
Pike Place Market is recognized as one of the best models for historic preservation and urban planning, but it wasn’t always like this. After a seven-year battle, the fight to save Pike Place Market came down to an initiative on the ballots on November 2, 1971. The “Let’s Keep the Market” initiative was led by The Friends of the Market, a grassroots group of citizen advocates who collected signatures and protested to save the Market, despite a majority of city and business leaders supporting demolition of the Market with an urban renewal plan. By Election Day, voters overwhelming approved to save the Market by a 59% margin. This initiative preserved the largest continuously operating public market in the nation and protected not only the 9-acre historic district of the Market but a community of farmers, small independent businesses, and senior residents.
- Labor of Love: Saving Pike Place Market Documentary Screenings at Unexpected Productions’ Market Theatre
- Experience a one-of-a-kind viewing experience of the official documentary about the battle in 1971 to save Pike Place Market from the wrecking ball. You’ll get to watch the 30-min documentary in the historic Market Theatre, Unexpected Productions.
- Showings on the hour from 11am to 4pm
- Proof of vaccination required for guests ages 12 and older (Card, Photo of Card, Email or other Digital Proof accepted, with I.D.)
- Masks required indoors for all guests according to state guidelines
- Buy Tickets Here!
- Pin the Tale on the Market: a treasure hunt to collect commemorative pins & a chance to win Delta Air Lines tickets
- Market History Tours by the Friends of the Market
- Support Local: Spend $50 in the Market and receive 50th Anniversary Commemorative Gift
- and more!