Nurturing a thriving Market community is at the heart of the Market Foundation’s mission.
For more than 37 years, we’ve raised and granted nearly $31 million to support the social services within the Market ensuring our residents, workers, and neighbors struggling to make ends meet and facing homelessness have access to fresh and healthy food, quality preschool education, housing assistance, socialization activities and help navigating the health care system.
A model for a healthy community guides how we approach investing in our community through grant making and program operations. Research shows that living a healthy life is more than just visiting a doctor – it is a holistic approach spanning six social determinants of health as defined by the World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control.
In 2019, we focused on three areas within these social determinants:
- Food Security – increasing the number of shoppers by 1,000 through our Food Access Program
- Economic Security – helping 100 individuals with cash and resource assistance when an emergency arises
- Health Care System – increasing the number of connections at The Market Commons resource desk and helping people navigate how to receive care.
With support from community members like you, we are committed to reaching these goals and expanding our reach amongst the Market and downtown communities. Last year, we were able to grant a record $915,000 to our agency partners to help meet the emerging and expanding needs of our neighbors in and around the Market.
And yet, we know these things to still be true:
- 30% of our downtown residents report they’re running out of food each month
- Actual and perceived barriers to health care prevent many of our Market seniors, students, and workers from accessing the care they truly need
- Service and retail workers too often live paycheck to paycheck and below the poverty line
We know we need to do more and we know we can with your help.
A gift of $100 funds 66 shoppers in the Pike Market Food Bank, which means a week’s worth of groceries for families that experience food insecurity. Can we count on you to support these families?
Increasing your contribution to $250 can help provide 500 meals to low-income and homeless senior center members. In 2019, the Pike Market Senior Center served 50,000 warm and nutritious meals. With your support, the Senior Center can keep its members nourished.
Lastly, $500 helps cover the gap for a senior in need of 24/7 assisted-living care at Heritage House at Pike Place Market. The facility is home to over 71 residents, many of whom need help covering their living costs. Your contribution ensures they continue to receive the utmost care and safety in a time of uncertainty.
Make a gift today to help the Market community during this critical time.
No matter the amount, your support will have far-reaching outcomes for the people who work here, learn here, or call the Market home.