POSITION TITLE: Special Events Intern
*Must be 21 years of age by August 14th to apply.*
May 11–15 – special event introduction and assistance for Fête le Market leading up to the event on the evening of Thursday, May 14th, 2020 (optional)
June 1–30 – Part-time (20 hours/week)
July 1–31 – Full time (30 hours/week)
August 1–28 – Full time (40+ hours/week)
September 8–11 – special event help with Cooking with Class leading up to and/or the evening of Thursday, Sept 10th, 2020 (optional)
Includes some evening hours. Exact start/end dates can be discussed.
COMPENSATION: $2,000 total stipend & bus pass provided. Stipend will be prorated monthly.
REPORTS TO: Special Events Manager
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled.
The Pike Place Market Foundation is a non-profit organization located in the heart of Seattle, in Pike Place Market. The Market Foundation nurtures a thriving Market community so the people within it can live their best life possible. Through community-building, fundraising, and advocacy, the Market Foundation has contributed to a neighborhood model that supports a diverse community in Pike Place Market. Read more about how we’re supporting a network of services in our community of over 11,000 low-income seniors and families: www.pikeplacemarketfoundation.org.
The Market Foundation’s summer intern assists with the planning and production of our summer fundraisers, starting with Fête le Market – a warm-hearted evening where we share stories of our impact and celebrate our thriving Market community. This event includes a cocktail hour, dinner, stage program, paddle raise and celebration on Thursday, May 14th. Helping out the week of this event will give you a glimpse into the world of how the Market Foundation events work and allow you to hit the ground running.
The Special Event Intern’s primary focus will be on our largest fundraising event of the year, Sunset Supper at Pike Place Market, which will be held on August 14, 2020. Sunset Supper features food & beverages served by 100+ of Seattle’s top restaurants, wineries, breweries and beverage companies. The event takes place in historic Pike Place overlooking Elliott Bay and attracts more than 1,600 guests. Entertainment includes live music and dancing, raffles and Seattle’s most unique party atmosphere. http://pikeplacemarketfoundation.org/events/sunset-supper/
The summer ends with our offsite event, Cooking with Class, a festive evening filled with 22 of Seattle’s top chefs, fine food, a live auction, paddle raise, raffle and more. This exciting event takes place at Salty’s on Alki on Thursday, Sept 10th.
This internship offers a unique opportunity for a hands-on role in event planning, fundraising, gift procurement, marketing, and project management to gain experience producing large, complex charitable event(s).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Raffle procurement & organization: Request in-kind donations from local businesses for Sunset Supper raffle items. Track and organize donations for the event.
- Data entry: record information about guests, vendors, and volunteers in donor database (training provided)
- Vendor management: communicate with vendors and organize materials for City of Seattle permitting and event placement logistics
- Inventory and supply management: take detailed inventory of supplies and assist in ordering/procuring supplies needed
- Event logistics: assist in coordinating various site-related logistics.
- Volunteer management: train and organize office and event volunteers as needed.
- Attend event-related meetings and volunteer trainings (some evenings required)
- Excellent administrative, oral and written communications; proofreading skills.
- Comfortable interacting with the public, in-person and on-phone.
- Able to ask people and businesses for things with follow-up (donations, participation, etc.)
- Ability to be proactive and work independently with a “can-do attitude”.
- Maintain the highest attention to detail.
- Professional and courteous demeanor at all times with public, donors and co-workers.
- Maintain a level-head and positive attitude during event-days in a crowded Market.
- Computer processing skills including MS Office required (Excel is a must!)
- Preference given to applicants who have non-profit volunteer experience.
- Sunset Supper is a 21 and over event; as the intern is required to work at the event, they must be over 21 years of age as of 8/14/2020.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This position requires good vision and hearing for computer and telephone work. The ability to lift a minimum of 25 pounds is helpful. A reasonable level of physical labor is required for event as intern will make deliveries to downtown restaurants, often on foot over cobblestones, pushing carts, and walking up and down flights of stairs.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your resume and a cover letter describing your interest in working with The Market Foundation and your relevant experience to Tiffany Hitt.
Thank you for your interest in working with the Pike Place Market Foundation!