Calling all fans of Pike Place Market!
Save the date! Join us to celebrate the opening of the much-anticipated MarketFront expansion on Thursday, June 29, 2017. You are invited to join the festivities, including a ceremony with Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, performances by local musicians, bites from MarketFront vendors, and activities to explore the new public spaces.
Pike Up! donors who donated by March 1, 2017 will discover their Market Charms, Hoofprints or Mosaic Fish at Grand Opening. Volunteers will be available to assist donors in locating their honorariums and maps of Charms, Hoofprints, and Fish will be available.
It’s not too late to write your name into Market history! We just ask for your patience, as all new Charm or Hoofprint donations will be installed in Fall 2017.
The $74 million MarketFront project realizes a long-held vision of Market advocates, who won historic designation for the nine acre neighborhood in 1971. The expansion will also return farmers and producers to a site that was developed in the early 1920s for Market farmers and was long part of the public market before it caught fire and was made into a surface parking lot in the 1970s.
Spurred by the future removal of the Alaskan Way Viaduct, the MarketFront expansion provides the unique opportunity to complete an important chapter in the Market’s past and begin a new one.
The new public space will provide:
- 30,000 square feet of open public space, including a public plaza and viewing deck with expansive views of the Olympic Mountains, Mount Rainier and Puget Sound
- 47 new table spaces for farmers and craftspeople on the MarketFront Plaza beneath an all-weather canopy with rollup doors to welcome the sea breeze.
- Four new artisan vendors with production on site: Old Stove Brewing Co., Jarr & Co., Honest Biscuits and indi chocolate in 12,000 square feet of commercial and production space
- 40 low-income senior housing units with seven live/work artist units
- A neighborhood center, offering social service resources and a place for neighbors to gather and connect in the Market community
- Three public art installations: NW Microcosm, Western Tapestry and Billie the Piggybank
- 300 underground parking spaces; 33 bicycle spaces
- Access to a vibrant, future connection to the central waterfront
View additional renderings of the new MarketFront here: pikeplacemarketfoundation.org/pikeup/the-project
Thank you to the 4,000+ “Piggybackers” who’ve donated to the Pike Up! campaign to complete the new MarketFront! Your support helps complete this historic project and ensures we can continue to sustain a thriving, caring community at Pike Place Market for generations to come.
Although our March 1 deadline has come and gone, it’s not too late to write your name on Market Charms and Bronze Hoofprint! We just ask for your patience, as your Charm or Hoofprint will be part of our second installation in Fall 2017. All proceeds support the expansion of services in the Market, including the new neighborhood center on the MarketFront. Please let everyone know they can still Pike Up! and write their names in Market history.
Questions? Contact us.