Meet Linda, who for 16 years, has volunteered at the Pike Market Food Bank and is a member of the Pike Market Senior Center.
She lives in low-income housing near the Market and walks down to the Food Bank every Tuesday and Thursday at 7:30 AM to start her shift. Like many of the volunteers, she’ll leave carrying her own bag of groceries as a fellow shopper of the Food Bank.
Earlier this year, Linda faced eviction after she fell victim to a scam that depleted her bank account.
“It was awful – I was thinking me and my dog Cha Cha would end up back on the streets,” said Linda. “I’ve been homeless before and I didn’t want to go back.”
Linda found emergency relief from the Community Safety Net supported by Pike Place Market Foundation. Linda’s story is not uncommon, it’s a harsh reality for thousands of our neighbors every year.
The Market is more than fresh fish and flowers, it’s a living, breathing village that cares for thousands of our neighbors in times of need. Care comes in the form of fresh food, warm meals, housing, medical services, and preschool for our youngest neighbors, too! Your donation provides vital support for neighbors like Linda this holiday season.
Suggested donation amounts:
- $25 provides holiday meals to families at the Food Bank
- $100 contributes to the Community Safety Net
- $500 provides one month of tuition assistance for a family at the Preschool
- $750 prevents a senior like Linda from experiencing homelessness
- $1,000 moves a homeless senior into housing this holiday season
Giving Trees are back!
Every holiday season, hundreds of Seattleites come together to bring gifts and cheer to over 400 low-income members of the Pike Place Market community. These gifts are often the only presents our seniors, children, and families receive each holiday season.
We invite you to join us this year and be part of spreading holiday joy through the Pike Place Market community!
There are 3 ways to participate:
- Select a wish (or two!) from one of our Giving Trees – You can find our 2 Giving Trees in the Market’s DownUnder next to Hands of the World and in the Atrium next to Sasquatch.
- Purchase a gift from our Amazon Wish Lists here.
- Donate cash and provide general holiday support for our community online here.
For more information or if you have any questions, please call 206.774.5262 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.