Hello Pike Place Market lovers!
After a Facebook yesterday about the new MarketFront, we heard from many of you regarding concerns about the expansion. We understand, because we love the Market too! We are 100% committed to keeping Pike Place the authentic, funky and historic place you love. Here are a few really important details about the MarketFront:
1. The existing historic marketplace will not and cannot be significantly altered with this expansion.
2. The MarketFront is going to be on what is now a surface parking lot on Western Avenue, not on Pike Place (see the current site above).
3. The expansion is on land that is part of the historic district and was always intended to be part of Pike Place Market. In fact, it used to be the Municipal Market Building. It was demolished after it caught fire in 1974.
4. The expansion will give farmers, craftspeople and buskers more space; provide the public with more elbow room with a public plaza with views of the Sound and the Olympics; provide 40 units of low-income housing for seniors; convenient parking for Market shoppers; and a more social services for our neighborhood community. There will also be more retail and restaurants!
5. The Market community has been deeply involved in the creation of the design of the project.
On Thursday, February 19 @ 6 PM, we invite you to a MarketFront Town Hall meeting in Pike Place Market. You’ll have the chance to hear about the new MarketFront and to ask your questions about the expansion. The event is free and open to the public.
The event will be held in the Atrium Loft. Directions to the Loft: Enter the Market at First & Pike and follow the sidewalk straight back to Rachel the Piggybank. If you stand next to Rachel the Piggy Bank, under the Clock Sign, and face Pike Place Fish (the corner of Pike Street & Pike Place), there is an upward staircase on your left. When you reach the top of the stairs, the Atrium Loft is to the right.
Questions? Email emily.crawford@pikeplacema