This is our most recent installment of “In the Kitchen”: blog updates on volunteer opportunities for Market residents and social service clients in the Atrium Kitchen.
We hope you had a wonderful New Year’s Celebration. It’s the perfect time to set resolutions to eat healthier in 2015 and give back to the community. You can knock out two birds with one stone when you volunteer at the Market Meal next week! We’re looking for help cooking a delicious lunch next TUESDAY 1/13! Cooking starts at 9:45 am, lunch is served at noon. Email Dana to sign up or for more info. No experience necessary!
White bean soup with Uli’s Sausage
Arugula and pear salad
Toasted garlic bread
Coffee and Biscotti
Winter Market Meal Dates
1/13/2014 at noon
2/10/2014 at noon
3/10 at noon
January 2015: “How to use Spices and Herbs”
- Thursday Jan. 8th at 11am Market Spice: An overview of basic spices, how they taste, nutritional value, recipe ideas and prices. Angela from Market Spice provide an experts perspective. Bring your questions, queries and insights!
- Thursday Jan. 15th at 11am Herb N’ Farm: Local Pike Market herb farmer, Ras Peynado, will join us to give an introduction of the herbs he grows. He will detail the health benefits, taste profile and how to start a small herb garden in your apartment!
- Thursday Jan. 22nd at 11am Diane LaVonne: Local chef, Diane, will dive into the world’s most popular spice; Salt. Along with providing the history and detailing the ways salt can affect your body, Diane will prepare a recipe and explain how she incorporates salt into her cooking
- Thursday Jan. 29th at 11am TBD: A local chef will explore a common spice/herb and prepare a recipe with it.
- Thursday Feb. 5th at 11am TBD: A local chef will explore a common spice/herb and prepare a recipe with it.
- Thursday Feb. 12th at 11am Liann Sundquist: Liann is the nutritionist at Pike Market Medical Clinic. She will explore a common spice/herb and prepare a recipe with it.
February 2015- Cooking Matters: Introduction to Cooking Skills and Nutrition
6 week series by Cooking Matters. Email/call Dana to register, first come first served. Max. 15 participants.
Thursday Feb 19th – March 26th, 10am-noon.
Class is held on Thursdays for two hours. Participants must be able to attend at least 5 or the 6 classes to register. Each class is led by a team of a chef, nutritionist and class assistant who engage in educational activities and meal preparation based on healthy recipes that are created with affordable and easy-to-source ingredients. At the end of the class you will have the tools and skills to shop for, and cook healthy meals. During the fifth week, the class will participate in a grocery store tour to practice new habits learned in class, such as reading nutrition labels and how to stretch food dollars. Participants will receive a bag of groceries each week so they can practice their cooking skills at home. At the final class, participants will receive a certificate and a graduation kit with recipes, cooking resources and tools.