In the News:
Cascade Harvest Coalition launched a new website and app this week called “Puget Sound Fresh”. It’s a great resource for finding info about which fruits and veggies are in season, and farmers markets in the area. The website lists seasonal recipes and events that are happening in Seattle involving local food. Be one of the first to check it out!
Puget Sound Fresh: http://www.pugetsoundfresh.org/home
There’s 2 great classes coming up this week! Check out Leann’s class about soups this Tuesday and Rosemarie’s “sweet and savory salads” on Thursday.
- Tues May 6th, 2pm: Liann Sundquist, RD “Soup for all Seasons”*A hand blender will be given away to one lucky recipient!
- Want to learn the tricks of making a great soup? Whether it’s a hearty one-pot meal or light, vitamin-rich summer soup, find out how to make it delicious.
- Thurs May 8th, 11am: Rosemarie Oliver, RD “Cheap Eats: Fabulous Fruits and Veggies”
- What is the easiest, simplest thing you can do for your health? Eat more fruits and vegetables! They are full of vital nutrients like potassium, Vitamin C and E, antioxidants, and folate but amazingly low in calories. Come to our Fabulous Fruits and Vegetable cooking class on May 8 at 11 a.m. We’ll be preparing two different fruit and vegetables salads for tasting, as well as learning about salad oils and whether you really need to take those expensive supplements.
- Tues May 13th, noon “Market Meal”
- Free lunch for the Market community. Contact Dana Gould if you’re interested in volunteering!
- Thurs May 15th, 10am and 11am: Diane Levine, “Beans and Basics: Cooking with Food Bank staples”
Diane will cook a simple, 45 minute recipe made with staple ingredients that you can find at the Food Bank. FREE delicious samples for everyone who joins in the fun! She will teach the class at 10am, and repeat the same demo at 11am. Recipe will be made from FOOD BANK ingredients. In the Atrium Kitchen.
- Thurs May 22nd, 10:30am: “Tea time”
- Come learn about the Pike Place Urban Garden. Find out how you can get involved as a volunteer!
Contact Dana Gould for more information!